Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 7 - sleepy time! and Day 8 - Shebat Shalom

Hey guys,

So yeah. sorry for not posting for a little bit... it got sorta hectic there, and then I didn't feel like updating my blog, so I'm just gonna talk about two days in one. :P  lol...

So yesterday, we had our two classes as usual, and then Sosimo asked if any of us girls would like to volunteer to babysit some kids at this Arab Messianic church. (it's the same church that we are using for a classroom for school.) So me, Kristin, and Jordyn volunteered to go help. When we got there, we realized that we were on our own, and that we basically had no other craft supplies available to us other than paint and glitter... (for you guys that serve in Children's Ministry, you know how evil that stuff is. Lol...)

So anyways, we had like 8 kids show up all in all, and it was just ridiculous... this culture is soooo crazy! So all Arab kids here grow up in this culture that basically teaches the survival of the fittest... they are rough, mean, tough, and very physical. And that's what we had to deal with last night... it wasn't so bad, but once they got bored, it got really hectic! And THEN..... the church service turned out to be THREE hours long!!! Phew! What an adventure! :P

Today we had classes again, but after class, all of us girls and Mrs. Laurie (the wife of our teacher, Mr. John) went out to get some coffee (I got iced chocolate. it was pretty amazing!) and we talked and just enjoyed learning from her. She has such great wisdom. We talked about this culture, modesty, womanhood, and all sorts of awesome stuff. She's really helping me develop such a midset of wisdom when it comes to modesty and purity. Kinda like a sounding board to bounce ideas off of. God's really growing me, and giving me a special message that I know that He wants me to share with all of you girls out there... :)

Today is the Sabbath or the Shebat. It started on sundown tonight, and will last until sundown tomorrow morning. So a new greeting I learned is "Shebat Shalom." It means something like "Sabbath greetings." It's only used on the sabbath. :) cool huh?!? :D Tomorrow we have a 3 hour Hebrew class. I'm so looking forward to that! Yay!

On a lighter note, I have been learning how to..... ready?....... here it comes........ COOK!!! Haha.... I know, I know.... :P  I've cooked all of my meals so far, and I'm not doing too bad. :P  Night before last, (for those who were curious), I cooked a chicken sandwich with pita bread... now that doesn't sound too impresive, but when I tell you that I had to take the raw slab of chicken, butcher it up, and THEN cook it, it sounds a little better. Lol... here's a pic. It was yummy... :P




So yeah, tomorrow, I'll try to make a cool vid for you guys. Perhaps, I'll share with you all what I learned in my Hebrew class tomorrow. :)  That would be neat. I love you all, and I hope that you are having a blessed week. 

Love, 
V

p.s.... this is the Hebrew brand of Yoplait. :P :P :P 



1 comment:

  1. Haha! Nice! It sounds like you are growing a lot (with patience/self-control :P, spiritually, and cookingly I just made up that word if you couldn't tell)!

    ReplyDelete